Monday, June 1, 2015

A shopping ban for 2015! Say what?


What if you went on a shopping ban for 2015?  And that means - NO shopping, all your inspirations come from what you already own AND you shop your own wardrobe every.single.day. 

Well, meet Bec! My new Instagram friend @ilovethatskirt.  She has done exactly that, put herself on a shopping ban for 2015. And guess what? She is loving every minute of it! I found her story so inspirational, that I wanted to interview her and bring her story to you. 

As my readers know, I am constantly bringing inspirations from my own wardrobe to my blog or my social media pages. Just follow me on Instagram @yummomummo to see my daily "Outfit of the Day" #ootd. Maybe you have a similar item I am wearing in your wardrobe, and just weren't sure how to work it. I am a Mummo on a budget, so I need to be very frugal with what I have. I believe that style and fashion should be affordable and accessible to anyone. Every woman deserves to feel great and honor her fabulousness. 
Meet Bec (@ilovethatskirt). LOVE this dress! From Bohemian Traders. 


1. What prompted you to go on a shopping ban?

Well I am (was) the true definition of a "shopping addict"!!  I loved shopping online and in-store and was forever asking people "where did you get that from"!  At the end of last year I was looking through my wardrobe to find something to wear and found 3 items that still had the tags on and I just thought to myself "enough is enough".  I realised that I have enough of everything - I have enough jeans; enough tops; enough gym gear; enough dresses and enough shoes! I really did not need to buy anything else.  So I wanted to set myself a challenge of just using what is in my wardrobe instead of shopping!

This skirt screams FUN!

2. What has been your biggest obstacle thus far?

My biggest obstacle has probably been changing my mindset.  My best friend and I used to live together and whenever we had an event or party coming up we would always go and buy something new to wear instead of re-working something we already owned.  So changing my thought patterns from "I need something new" to "let's re-work what I have" has been the most challenging!

3. Tell us three things about yourself we might not know?

Ohhh well I'm sure there's lots of things - but it might not be very interesting haha! 

* I have always lived in Brisbane (Australia) and whilst I would love to try living somewhere overseas, I also love that my family is within 5 minutes drive. 

*  I have the most amazing group of girlfriends from High School who I am still friends with.  We catch up once a week usually and we are now going through the engagements, weddings and babies stage together which is really exciting!

* I have two older brothers and I was essentially a "surprise" for my Mum and Dad!  My brothers are a fair bit older than me and whilst they never helped me with my makeup they certainly shaped my early style - I was a big tomboy growing up!

Chambray shirt versatility. A great staple.


4. What is your best piece of style advice?

I know it might sound cliché but the older I get the more I realise that great style is all about confidence.  I don’t think I ever understood this in my early twenties but now I totally get it.  I could be wearing something that isn’t “on trend” or isn’t the “latest” style but if I feel confident then that is all that matters. Clothes should make us feel good about our bodies and about ourselves and I think that's really important! (YummoMummo here - Might I interject and say "Amen, Sista!", I could not agree more).
Corporate sheek.  So elegant. Wool skirt from Witchery, one of my fav Aussie stores.

5. If you could take 3 clothing/accessory items onto a deserted island, what would they be?

Ohh good question!! I would take a striped tee (I love love love stripes), my favourite leopard print flats and some denim shorts - this is basically my "go to" look in our hot Australian summers so I figure it would be perfect for a deserted island :)

Coffee shops in Australia are something I truly miss! The metallic shoes are awesome!

6. How would you describe your style?

I would have to say that my style is classic, girly and a little bit fun! I love midi-skirts and dresses but then I also love throwing on a tee and jeans! I work in a fairly corporate area so through out the week I have to be quite dressy, so on the weekend I like to have fun and mix it up!
Thanks so much for having me!

Can you imagine how much $$ Bec will save in 2015 from her shopping ban, not to mention the time spent not shopping. Definitely great food for thought! 

YummoMummo can do wardrobe for YOU! If you need a wardrobe audit, outfit inspirations,  personal shopping or help finding the perfect outfit, then let's make you the Yummo to my Mummo. yummomummomelissa@gmail.com


If you want to keep up with my daily outfit of the day posts (#ootd), follow me on Instagram www.instagram.com/yummomummo

For my daily fashionable Facebook antics www.facebook.com/yummomummo

Leave me a comment below, I love to read them.

10 comments:

  1. Very cool! It's admirable to use what you already have instead of continually wanting for more. Less waste that way, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your correct Denise, sometimes we need to stop and take stock of where we are at in our closets. That's why I love to get into people's wardrobes and show them 'outfit inspirations' which means showing the many outfit combinations with what they already have!

      Delete
  2. She looks fab! I would love to do a shopping ban but I enjoy buying new things too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Albertine, it is so nice to have on something new! Im tempting to try this for a quarter, baby steps!

      Delete
  3. WOW! Kudos to her for being so brave and inspiring. Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ashlyn, kudos' to her, it takes courage and determination for a woman to not shop. Very inspiring. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  4. This is such an amazing goal, she will be saving so much money!! I wish I had the will power to stop shopping for a whole year!

    xo
    Sami || TheClassicBrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you would feel the power if you thought of all the money you could save LOL. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. I could probably go a year without buying clothes, but I could not go a year without making myself clothes! I've joined Flat Bum Mum this month to not buy anything new in June - so far so good! Yes, it's only the 5th!

    Allison @ http://www.thetallmamastyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing goal, but don't think i could do it, much to my hubby's dismay ;)

    ReplyDelete